Oratory of S. Maria del Monastero
The 13th-century oratory, formerly dedicated to St Martin, was perhaps enlarged in the 17th century and 1728, incorporating portions of Romanesque masonry. Inside, there are frescoes from the 16th-19th centuries. In the vicinity of the oratory, there are remains of walls that probably belonged to a hospice of the Humiliati, founded before 1270.
The hospice, like those at Camperio and Casaccia, was a resting place along the Via del Lucomagno and accommodated travellers over the Nara Pass (between the Blenio and Leventina valleys).
Martino Rossi, originally from Torre, worked there as a cook and later became the most famous Italian chef of the 15th century.
Keys to Mrs Gabriella Conceprio, Corzoneso-Piano
T +41 (0)91 871 17 27
or Municipal Chancellery Acquarossa
T +41 (0)91 871 11 81